Monday 2 November 2009

I have always held onto computer technology by my finger nails which is not to say much as I bite them (very efficiently!). So when I find that a programme I have been using for years does something really useful that I never knew about, I say to myself, bugger it, why did I not know that before, it would have saved me hours of time. Conversely, why oh why don't the people who write the software ask computer idiots like me to work with their programmes before they finish them. I have just been going through a LONG document in Word, that has tracked changes, can I find a way to say yes to all the changes in one go, can I hell, I can merge several documents, but I don't want to, I can do a ton of other things including accept a job offer - although where the hell that came from I have no idea! But can I just tell it to accept all the changes and leave me alone, no, I have to go through and do them one at a flaming time. When I went to the help, it wasn't any, and afterwards they put a window asking if the help was useful - needless to say I told them what I thought of it! However the day I get an answer will be a miracle.


It has been a little colder today, I managed to get about half an hour during the day between flying birds, so I tried to catch up on some office work, by the time I had sat in front of my computer for a while, I was beginning to get cold and was most definitely cold during the first half of the last demonstration. We finished up having flown all the birds, and they all went well, Adam did my Steppe Eagle, we are sharing him which saves on both our arms and means he will not be too one person. All the falcons did very well, its good to fly Casper (white bird) in the morning as the morning light catches him and he is stunningly beautiful, and what's more, he is actually flying quite well.


I fed round, and Adam tried his hand at fixing a dripping tap, he turned the water off, we still have to turn the whole place off to do anything, which is infuriating and one of the things I intend getting sorted. We both looked at the tap once it was in bits - neither of us had a clue what we were looking at!! Luckily Tom arrived and said yes the washer was duff - when we saw the new one we were amazed - it most certainly was duff! So Adam went to Gloucester Building Supplies, who really ought to change their name - perhaps Gloucester Hobby Store, or Lego Building Supplies would do. They had nothing which did not surprise me. The last time I went in there for some roofing nails they sold them in packs of 12 nails, who the hell wants 12 nails if they are building something for heavens sake!!! They asked me how many I was looking for and I said 2000 (which I was!) and walked out mumbling in fury! I remember when you could go into a decent hardware shop and buy 5 lbs of nails, we didn't count the bloody things, and if you don't know what lbs are - look it up!


Adam was on a roll, he then fixed the lights in the small falcon block, I should have thought of some other things as well for him!


I have a ton of paperwork to do and two lectures to put into PowerPoint, and I have not managed to get started properly on them yet, although I have found the photos I was looking for which is a start.


There is a bright moon gleaming down, the day really has been lovely despite the weather forecast. Lets hope for more of the same. It was a good night to light the fire in my office/sitting room, so the dogs and I did - its always useful to have puppies taking your kindling and chewing it as you are making the fire! I am working on stuff and Sedge is lolling in front of the fire chewing something, Indigo and Rush are on the sofa, Acer can't decide where to be and Nettle has gone upstairs to my bedroom - I turned on the electric blanket as it is the only heating I use upstairs, so she is warm and snug. We need a larger sofa for all of us - I usually end up sitting on the floor!


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers