Wednesday 4 November 2009

Its been a lovely day, the sun was out first to last, with maybe a couple of cloudy patches, but they were minutes. I decided this was going to be a day I got things done!! Finished the article last night, I hope it is OK, I think it is. It turned into about 1500 words which is not bad. Started today by getting birds flown because the forecast was not good (wrong of course!) so I flew the lugger who must have a name soon, he was good, Casper, who was very good, Adams Lanner and Gazelle and Greaves, the female Kestrel, who was very good, and Holly got Jodami done, so by coffee time we had done six already. After coffee I flew Adam's Harris Hawk Radamanthus who was excellent. I took him and the two puppies round the field together, he did not swear at the dogs once, and even landed on the ground twice and they - the sweethearts, never even thought about going up to him, they really are very good, and both under four months old!! We had visitors and so we did the 11.30 demo. We try to do the demo visitors or not even if it is raining. Although I have to say we have only had three days with rain since I can't remember when.


I also picked up the Steppes, we had a bit of a bate for a few minutes, but he settled and I put him in the middle lawn, I picked him up again late afternoon and he was very good, he is so bloody heavy though, a lump at seven and a half pounds!! And he rides very heavy on the fist at the moment.


Got some office work done, including Staff manual, Volunteer manual, Education Policy and the X?!!!XXX Health and Safety Manual checked through and sent back to Robin who is collating them all. Plus all vital emails, and started on one of the lectures, I have them sort of fixed in my mind, but not yet in the computer.


Between us we got all the birds flown, and Holly and Robin to Sky the hunting Harris Hawk out for a swift walk round the fruit farm, no chases, but good for them all. We had one visitor who no matter what I did or said never changed his expression, never smiled and never applauded when all the others did. We get them occasionally and I always spot them!! All I can say is I am glad I am not married to him!


I have discovered a new way to save on electricity and improve on my carbon footprint, I do the washing up in the scullery in the dark!! Makes it far easier and quicker as you do it by feel! Of course I blow it completely if the oven has been on as I open the door to warm myself, because as we get into the colder weather the house is getting chilly (that could be an understatement!) I have not yet turned on the central heating and am avoiding it as long as I can. Although I have a couple of friends coming to stay this weekend so I suspect I will succumb in their honour! But unless it is much colder, it will go off again on Sunday night!! It just goes to show how much cooking I do though, I have been here for coming up for eleven months (eleven months home!!!!!) and I am still on the same gas bottle........

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers