Wednesday 2 December 2009

I have noticed that the orange fish in my water is not very assertive! It is nearly always underneath the black ones and is slow to feed, I wonder if I should be worried about it.

My falconry bag survived the washing although I can’t say if the reverse has happened, but the machine seems to have weathered the bag. and my bag looks pretty good actually. After my comments about my house keeping a friend of mine suggested that I might be exaggerating and that in fact I was probably secretly a domestic goddess!! Nope! I am afraid not sadly, and I told her that my absolute hitting rock bottom in terms of cooking was micro waved tinned peas with a micro waved egg on top, a sort of poor woman’s eggs Benedict!! It was quite disgusting I might add – I can’t advise trying it.

Its been a busy couple of days, I left everyone here on Tuesday cleaning and tidying, and took Eager to Kate Humble’s home where we filmed for the Spring Watch Christmas Special. I was a little worried as he has not been away from home before and can be a little noisy. I need not have been, he behaved very well and we were done and dusted in half an hour.

This was good because it meant I could get back and fly some of the birds before getting ready to go and give a lecture north of Lichfield (my computer just told me that this should be spelt lovechild!!) somewhere. I had to use the van, because I still don’t have my car back. I got there with one stop to ask the way, I really don’t like the google map instructions to get places, firstly they assume that you are going to be able to read every instruction and secondly that you are going to watch your mileometer like a hawk. Why can’t they just say turn onto the Axxx or what ever road it is, stay on it until you come to Piddle Trent Hide, turn left in the village onto the BXXX and you have two miles to go. Names and road numbers that is what we need and what they are there for. That would be so much easier, and don’t tell me I need a satellite navigator because I loath them!

Anyway the lecture went OK I think, well they stayed to the end so that must mean something. Then I took advice and went back a different way – bad move. I was following a friend and we followed all the signs to the M42, all the way to the last roundabout. I actually drove all round the roundabout looking for the sign, but no, not a sign as it were. So I ended up taking the signs for the M6Toll road, which had been on the same signs for the M42 all the way along. Huge mistake, I ended up having to pay £4.50 for the pleasure of going on a motorway I did not want to be on, and on which I was on for eight miles!! And to add insult to injury there was a 50mph speed limit flashing which I have to say I could see no reason for, and no other traffic, so I ignored it after I had paid to be on the damn road anyway. I am going to write and complain to someone!

The zoo inspection went OK, although they thought I might have to redo my contingency plan that you have to do if you look like failing. I wrote in ‘never give up!’ which I thought said it all.

While I was taking round the inspectors everyone else was clearing up the last of the hedge that had been cut, and getting the bonfire going, it took all day and its still going. But they got it cleared and all the birds flown, and Mike finished the bricklaying, and started on the pad. We passed our inspection so we had mulled wine at lunch time to celebrate, and luckily there was enough left that I can continue now!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers