Wednesday 23 December 2009

I love getting Christmas cards, and I like sending them too, so it has been great to do it again this year after a long gap, however I need some help!!! To all of my wonderful friends who send me cards with just their Christian names – I have no idea which one you are. On my address list, just for example I have 5 Carols, 24 David’s, 28 John’s and so on, so Please always put your surname (or a clue!!) and preferably your address as I am out of date with many of you.

The last Owl Evening of the year went well, a nice bunch of guests, the weather warmed up fractionally, and the owls flew very well. They are all now munching away on ad lib food until mid January. Sunday was another clear and cold day, with a sprinkling of snow on the paths, but the grass was still green. The grass over here is always a vivid green; it never seems to go brown. Very occasionally in a long drought of hot weather (rare!!) it browns up but never completely.

I had a lunch invitation on Sunday, and for once I actually went. I am very bad about going out. I guess because we are open to the public and so I see people every day seven days a week for ten months of the year and then every day except for probably one a week during the closed months I see my staff and volunteers, which I love to do, I tend not to be particularly sociable outside that time. But when I do go I almost invariably tell myself I should do it more often!! I had a lovely time this time, and Sedge and Acer were invited which meant I did not have to worry about them. And they behaved very well too, apart from finding one Christmas present under the tree!! Oppppss

The last few days has been hectic, people coming, stuff to do, electrics being a little difficult (that could be the understatement of the year) and Sorrel arriving as well, Phew!! We still had not had snow, well OK a tiny sprinkling which is now a very crunch sprinkling and plenty of ice. Although Linda came over yesterday to take photos and went up onto May Hill and said there is snow there, but I have not had time to go yet.

Sorrel arrived with us on Monday morning, she is a chunky girl!! Quite a different shape from Acer, she was good as gold all day and very quiet – that has not lasted, she is now very bouncy and holding her own against Sedge who loves her. Poor Acer is feeling left out as Sedge seems to prefer to play with Sorrel (more of a similar size – but that ain't going to last!!). However we are going to be very careful she does not get middle child syndrome!

Hopefully the electrics will be sorted a little tomorrow, because Holly and Sue and I decorated the Christmas tree late this afternoon, but it was nearly dark by the time we finished and so we have no idea what it looks like. As the afternoon ended it started to rain, then sleet and then Proper Snow!!! Real, huge soft flakes which was lovely to see, sadly, or probably a good thing, it did not last for long, but it was fun. Tomorrow is Christmas Eve, hooray!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers