Thursday 31 December 2009
Its nearly the New Year, I can't believe how fast this one has gone and what we have achieved during it. The dogs are settled in the kitchen, Sedge is now using his igloo bed (when Acer has not sat on it and flattened it). Sadly we no longer have a butter dish, it got Acered!! Sorrel has been playing and is now finally flat out, and Indigo and Rush put up with them! Nettle does not, she insists on going up to my bedroom mid evening, and there she stays, curled up on the bed until I get there.

The weather men as usual got the forecast completely wrong for us, on Monday we were warned to be careful because heavy snow was coming, and every map showed us getting it. Freezing winds, frost, snow drifts etc, all I can say is that they have very good imagination, because it did not freeze, there was not much wind and on Tuesday and Wednesday it rained and rained! Not a sign of snow. Although Anna has a ton of it in the Highlands.

Mike has been here working on the enclosures at the end of the Hawk Walk, they are getting there, the roof is close be being covered in, now comes the fiddly bit that take the time, we also managed to get the furniture moved around the house, my office/library looks great and the dogs love the new sofa's which I have covered so they don't ruin them!

John came over from Northampton and helped all day in the rain on Wednesday, and his wife sent food!! Which we ate with gusto, it was very welcome on such a miserable day. Steve and I managed to get all the flying birds out, weigh them and put them on the lawn for a bath, then the rain got more serious, so I fed them and we quickly cleaned the Indoor Hawk Walk and got them back in again, poor loves they were shivering. I can't wait to get them heated perches. Linda worked on a project that was very important on the computer and I moved from job to job, plus looking after the dogs. Finally once eveyone had gone home, I worked on the house, got all the beds sorted out, tidied up the linen cupboard which I have wanted to do for ages, and failed to do anything on the computer as I ran out of steam. The male Redtail that had been lent to us was not right, so Simon took it to Neil Forbes at Great Western Refferals. We were worried about him, but Neil saw him and immediatly diagnosed stress induced diabetes!! He really is a first class, world class vet.

Today it was clear and dry, the enclosures continued to grown nearer being roofed, Steve worked with Mike and managed to get the small owl block raked as well. Linda and I worked on some stuff on the computer again, and then I had to go to the vet to collect the Redtail who looks great, and take Woodland Venture, whom we were a little concerned about, he got the all clear, and Mikki came with me to give me company, so we cooked supper together and she left when fireworks were starting in case her new dog was upset and Linda left about 10.15pm. My friends are so good and so helpful to me.

My brain is not functioning that well, so I am going to see the New Year in in bed!! With a good book, quite the best way to do it. I would like to wish all my Friends, and Volunteers and Staff a Wonderful New Year and I will do my best to make it so!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers