Monday 28 December 2009

One of the things that really strikes me as I watched three films yesterday!! (and now my back is sore from too little work!) is that people really have no idea about global warming. They just don’t understand that this will affect all our lives in time. Just watch the adverts, the amount of waste is just mind boggling, when you think how much fuel and money the world could save by just using less lights it would pay off my debts in probably seconds. Gross over use of lights and water prevails in adverts, it may look pretty, but its shameful waste without thought or reason.

Christmas lights are another thing that really makes you understand that we really have not faced up to the fact that we should be saving precious fuel, not wasting it. I have to say I loath the fast growing habit of decorating your house, lawn, trees, and heaven knows what else with flashing lights, and a friend of mine just sent me a U tube video that says it all in terms of insanity and waste. And that is apart from most of them being incredibly tasteless, and causing light pollution. These people certainly must have money to burn because burning it they are, but bear this in mind, they are also burning your future lighting and heating, it is not limitless.

At the risk of harping on, I remember listening to a radio advert for I think it was a detergent product last year. The voices they used to extol the virtues of the stuff annoyed me, because when they got to the fact that it was a greener product they used a weird hippy voice, and I thought then these people really don’t understand that green issues are not to be joked about, they are, for our future, deadly serious.

So enough moralizing, although I mean it very seriously believe me. I am so sparing of electricity in my house that I often wander round in the semi dark!! But today it is a beautiful morning. A hard frost with a clear sky, I am about to put the birds out for a bath if the water is not frozen, the forecast is for snow, so I want to get them out for a bath before that happens. As long as all the snow comes this month and next and is finished by Feb that is fine by me!

Update, couldn’t put the birds out because all the hoses were frozen, but I guess that would be the case in the wild. Frozen water means its tough, as I have noticed with the moorhens on my pond, at least one has been knobbled by something, because they can no longer get underwater.

My day was a little unplanned all in all. Hamish and Caroline very kindly offered me a couple of beds and sofa’s as they have moved house and are putting the furniture from two houses into one – always a difficult task, so I benefited. I was to meet them at Hollybush, we were in touch on the phone, but as I was looking for their rented cottage, I got a phone call from them, they had hit a patch of ice and skidded off the road. I am not surprised, the ice has to be seen to be believed and if it snows on top of the ice that is going to be interesting. Anyway I offered to drive on and see if I could help. I had the trailer on the back. The car was definitely in a ditch!! No doubt about that and it was going to stay there too. So we all hopped in my Range Rover plus trailer and drove to near Stroud where their new house is, it’s a lovely area I have to say, with cracking views, no chance of flooding there! Hamish collected car number two and we drove back to Hollybush. There we loaded three beds, two wardrobes, two sofa’s and some lovely cushions. I have to have a word with Rush and Acer about cushions and games!!

Poor Linda had come over to help unload and have some lunch but could not wait and so I unloaded the two single beds and got them to the top of the house, but gave up on the rest. As Hamish so rightly said moving mattresses on your own is like trying to move blancmange! Luckily Simon came up and offered to help with the other bed and the sofa’s. So now I have two very beautiful suede sofa’s standing upright in the hall. I am hoping to get some help with furniture moving tomorrow!! Right now I can’t see the Christmas tree for sofa’s but they are awfully nice ones!

Now it is dark, there is a three quarters moon, its clear and frosty, the grass is crisp already. The pups have had their Wheatabix, I am listening to carols for the last time until next year peace reigns. I hope the Chinese don’t execute that chap…………………..


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers