Saturday 5 December 2009

We got a ton of work done in the last two days, as the fire was still going we decided to resuscitate it and get all the rest of the little bits of hedge and completely clear the fields, so we did! It looks great, that took to coffee time, by which time it was time for concrete mixing and my back is now not happy about that! The footing for the internal walls are now done, well all but one, and by the end of the day had several dog paw prints as usual! I had intended to go shopping but failed, I think it’s because I actually don’t like shopping so I make every excuse not to do it, however tomorrow it is a must I am afraid. We flew the birds, Kari who is on work experience for a week painted the inside of the last of the kites enclosures and Jason finished lining it, and made a nest box, that is going up now, literally! It was a cold night, but not as frosty as three nights ago, and the following morning it was a beautiful clear clean sky with sunshine and a chill in the air. We started by putting down the gravel for the staff entrance, that is now done, and when it rains, which was supposed to be later on, I will sweep the concrete and it will look smart and tidy again, another bit got back to how it used to be.

Mike put in much of the block work for the internal walls, and John, John, Robin, Josh (young Josh), and Simon mixed concrete for the floor of what I hope will be the enclosure for Mozart if he can manage in a new one. My back would not do concreting. Adam cleared the mud off the half circle by the post in the flying ground and Kari finished painting the last kite aviary. John and co also got the last nest ledge up too. So there is only the Zoomesh to get done and the wire on the standoff barrier and another set of enclosures is finished apart from the feed drawers which are another project altogether.

I finished the day by collecting my range rover, and have been told to hitch up the trailer and drive it up a steep hill which will have to wait until tomorrow as we have an experience day today and an owl evening. I did try to go and do some shopping, I really need a couple of jerseys, but I took one look at myself in a shop mirror and went and bought a coal scuttle instead, much more useful and cheaper and longer lasting, and hopefully means that Acer can’t reach the coal and eat it all over the cream carpet!

Two of the shops I went into had staff hoovering the floor, I was so annoyed I left, there is no way my staff would do that before we are closed, its not a good way to make people feel you want them there, someone should tell them – and no I didn’t, but I felt like doing it!

Acer has five new teeth and Sedge has eight!! Mine are OK too.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers