Sunday 17 January 2010

Saturday, and the snow has gone!! And did it go quickly, oh yes, thanks to the rain, and did it rain a lot, oh yes! I managed to be taking the dogs for a walk each time it really came down. The second walk was very weird because the strips of snow that were left, mainly by the lea side of woods was amazing to look at. There was a cloud of mist rising from the snow, almost like watching dry ice. As the rain hit the snow it gave off this vapour, and it looked really mysterious and almost science fiction – but it was fact!! Not that the dogs were impressed, and in fact they were less than impressed with the rain as well and very wet through by the time we got back. So was I, and in crossing the ditch at the bottom of our field, which was a torrent of water by that time, I discovered that it was in fact higher than my welly! So cold wet foot for the rest of the day.

So add to that the fact that we ran out of heating oil as well, things were and still are a little chilly! Sunday morning we siphoned off some from the tank that does the flats and café, it will be interesting to see just how long 10 gallons lasts!! Not long I suspect.

…………. Well I have to say the 10 gallons lasted the day, and gave Charlie a shower and me a heavenly bath, so that surprised me, and its still going and keeping us warm. The afternoon here was wonderful, the sun came out it was warm, yes warm!! I picked up Fortina and took her out to the field and jumped her to the fist, she was very good, she also bit Sorrel, which was also good, Sorrel will need to learn that she has to behave with the birds and I think it is going to be a tough lesson for her! I then set three mole traps, we have a ton of bloody mole hills in the field and I need to get rid of them before we start mowing again. It’s a grubby job and I doubt I will get any because the tunnels were running with water. We then sat in the sun for a few minutes and guess who fell in the pond – Sorrel!! She climbed out very wet and then tried to roll dry all the way up the field, which did not work!

Charlie has nearly finished the shelving in the shop, it is looking great, well OK right now it looks like a bomb has hit it, but it WILL look great. I have to start staining it tomorrow and then we can clear the stock room get more stock, and be ready for opening!!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers