Tuesday 5 January 2010

Well we finally got the snow!! Not as much yet as some I suspect, but enough that we sent Holly, Tom, Steve and Mike home by about lunchtime, in case the roads were poor. Which by the look of the TV news, they probably were.

Simon, Adam and I nearly finished off moving some birds around. We have put the moulting falcons into the back off show aviaries, all bar two which we will move tomorrow. We have moved the Sakers from one side of Barn 3 to the other, and that gives us space for a third pair of Lanners, which is good. And we put the melanistic Changeable Hawk Eagles out in that barn, which I hope will work well. We cleaned and reperched each enclosure as we moved the birds. It also meant that we gave physical checks to a number of birds that I wanted to check over. All were in very good feather condition, particularly one Peregrine that was a confiscated bird who arrived in appalling condition and now looks a treat.

The dogs had a whale of a time in the snow, all of them loved it and Sorrel the newest just had a field day, she was rolling in it and having the time of her short life! Although I have to say she is by far the most demanding puppy. The others seem very easy in comparison, she is a handful and not backward in coming forward as it were! Nathan dropped in and then kindly took Jan home as she was not sure if her husband would get his van up the hill, and Nathan was going past anyway.

I defiantly have a cold, I have a sore throat and feel somewhat blocked up damn it. Not sure where I got it, but no doubt I will generously pass it on! My Christmas tree goes tomorrow, and all the decorations, not that I managed much as it all got done late on Christmas Eve! Our mother would never let us take Christmas decorations down until 12th night, which is Jan 6th I believe or so she told us! Mind you in America some did not take theirs down for months after December, it was extraordinary and some never took them down!!

It really has been a very wintery winter so far, of course its when the snow starts to go that things get messy!! However as it is still snowing now, I think that will be a day or so away! We are going to try and get the Snowy Owl going quickly so we can get some photos of him flying in the snow, that would be pretty cool! Adam said if we lost him he would be much harder to see!! However knowing Cool Ground, he is quite hard to lose.

We had to give up on building after lunch because of the snow, so it will be interesting to see what we can get done tomorrow.

Oh and I made a tiny snowman!! I hope to finish him tomorrow and I will take a photo.


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers