Sunday 2 May 2010
I have been a life member of the Raptor Research Foundation for many years now, a while ago RRF decided to pass on the membership organising, accepting of subcriptions, sending of newsletters and so on to a group called OSNA. I have to say that I was not impressed by the concept at the outset, but others wanted it. I was over time less than impressed by the performance of the group, and increasingly so. It was pointed out to me recently that the reason I have received nothing from RRF in the last three years is that my address with OSNA is incorrect. Now I changed it in 2007, however it not being a priority, I did not check it. So imagine my lack of surprise that this was still the case. Consequently about a month ago I emailed them, I loath these templates that you have to fill in because, often the US ones seem to forget the rest of the world and you can't put the right address anyway, and very often the template is not relevant to what I need to say or know. And needless to say unless the county you live in (we don't have states in the UK) comprises of only two letters you can't put it in anyway. However when the next email arrived from a friend showing me my now altered address I had to laugh. It was such a mix up of US and UK addresses as to be unintelligible which again although nor surprising was nevertheless frustrating. I now apparently live at Little Orchard Farm (moved from there in 2008) Eard Island (Eardisland - the village I lived outside) Hereford Shire (Herefordshire the county in the UK where I lived) Mount Pleasant (the town near where I lived in South Carolina!) SC, the state I no longer ever wish to visit!, my UK phone number in Herefordshire which I no longer have, and my email in the US which I no longer have. Well done OSNA - great work! I suppose I should be grateful they got my name right!

It was a very very wet night and when I looked out of my bedroom window at 5.00am, as I got dressed to get ready to go to the Falconers Fair the usual lake was in the middle of the field from the rain and there were two geese on it! I got soaked loading the birds, but by the time we got about half way there the sky was clearing, it was just a shame that instead of keeping on the M5, I turned off onto the M42, don't ask me why, I have no idea, habit I guess, but I did curse as soon as I was past the point of no return as it were, and then realised I did not want to be there. So we kept on and finally got back to the M6, although hardly by the fastest route. Then I nearly ran out of diesel and had to go past the turning I wanted to get some. It is such a rip off on the motorways, I filled up, knowing that there was a garage in Newport that would be much cheaper, which was infuriating, especially as it was 10 flaming pence cheaper per litre. I really do think that it is something that should be stopped.

It was bitterly cold at the fair, but at least dry. The birds went OK, reasonably well, nothing brilliant, but consistent, and well behaved. Actually the best was probably the Kite Theft! It was good to see old friends, and walk round and have a chat. Marshalls have the coolest new telemetry, I want a set, it is tiny and works really well and if you put it up in the car it does not spike the passenger in the eye, a huge bonus! We took up the Symonds Yat Peregrine for Charlie and dropped into the DEFRA stand to check what he had to do about her legally, so that is sorted out. He sent me a photo of her back at his place this evening and she is settled already. Here is hoping that Charlie has fun and the peregrine does well and can be released in the summer. Its been a long day and I am going to bed early! Electric blankets are a gift from god that is for sure!






0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers