Saturday 19 June 2010
We had a school party visit this week and Simon saw one of the delightful children throwing a large stone at the Changeable Hawk Eagles aviary, with the birds going nuts. Between him and Holly they sorted it out, all I can say is that I suspect they were very much more tactful and pleasant to the little so and so than I would have been. He should be thanking all his lucky stars that I did not catch him at it or there would have been hell to pay. Unlike the teachers I am not able to be bullied by parents and so they get told the truth in no uncertain terms! Then the culprit, a fat over weight child charmingly blamed another child and all his little friends backed him, were I the other child I would have made sure he was no friend of mine, I loath bullies, and I suspect that is exactly what he was, he will make a lovely adult.

Finally I think we might have found an engine for my Range Rover, and so all I need to do is see about getting it put in and I might have a car back again, which would I have to say be very nice! My trip to London on Wednesday went fine, although I probably should have looked at the timings a little better as I thought it started at 2.00pm and not 4.00pm!! I was hungry when I got home which wasn’t until 9.00pm and there was nothing in the house, so finally I went shopping yesterday. So there is bubble bath and food in the house, and life is looking up!

The stables roof is nearly finished, and it looks so nice to see it cared for again. Next comes repairing the external walls and then cleaning and painting the whole of the inside, which will be fun to get done. I am hoping to put up a sort of a studio for Linda outside with translucent roof and two walls, it should make it easier for photography days on wet miserable days. Not that we have had many of those recently, it did rain yesterday, but did not start until we had closed – great timing, and the plants were pleased. Although I suspect that Nathan won’t be as it means the grass will grow again and his lawn mower is broken!

All the birds are flying well, the Steppe Eagle Azor is throwing out feathers now as are two of the Harris Hawks, this is always a difficult time of the year for flying as the birds hatched last year are beginning to look untidy and need a moult and none of the this years clutches apart from owls are ready to train as yet. Darcy Spice has had to be confined to quarters now as he can fly up onto the gate in the Hawk Walk and it is a small step (OK flight) from there to underneath someone who can eat him. We have two baby Burrowing Owls that Simon has just allowed out, although with the chilly weather this morning they were not impressed, and Holly has her baby Ural Owl, the only one in the second lot. It has a way to go yet before it is as pretty as Bosbury Pippin was.

A chap who's name completely escapes me and who is a wildlife cameraman came down this week to film Pinotage flying and breaking eggs, she was willing and did some nice flying, although better the day before he came needless to say. But it was interesting to watch her with eggs. She has not seen one since 2005, and although she did throw stones at a goose egg, her accuracy was not all it might have been!! However I think he got some good stuff.
We have a photography day tomorrow as well as a half experience day, they will be lucky tomorrow as they will have a number of lovely baby owls to photograph. It’s a good time of year to come on one.


0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers