Sunday 22 August 2010
Dinah and I watched a new programme called Secret Britain the other day. Both of us decided that the damn background music is extremely invasive, making listening to the commentary actually quite difficult, an spoiling the programme, which is the same with many films these days. It’s a shame that there is not an option to turn the bloody stuff down so one can hear the speech. I was also horrified to see the chap, whose name I forget walk through various gates and leave them open – bloody fake countrymen!! If you are in the country you should Always shut the damn gates.

I do sometimes wonder at the questions that our visitors ask us. And little do they know how incredibly tactful I really am!! For example they sometimes ask if the birds manage in the cold weather in the winter, and it sort of annoys me because it implies that we don’t think about it and often I would love to say, that we just leave them to it and if they get cold its tough!! When I think of the efforts we go to to make them comfortable and warm, no wonder I get annoyed, however I answer politely and tell them that many come from countries that are colder than this and if the birds need heat we supply it. Or my favourite, oh do you all go on holiday in the eight weeks you are closed, - yup, we lob a dead cow into each aviary and leave them to it!! Extraordinary how little people think before opening their mouths on occasion!

It has been very very muggy the last three days, almost reminiscent of South Carolina, but thank god not quite!! However it does make for hard work getting things done and the birds don’t like it as much as the hot days, or the windy days. But the rain has been welcome to the trees, that is for sure.

Dinah has painted the utility room green, it is not quite the green we expected, I find that however much you look at the colour chart, it is never the same as the real thing, she said that Farrow and Ball is the best paint and they usually are the colour they state, however they are also very expensive and not easy to get round here. Nick has gone back to New Zealand, back to the start of spring and then summer, he managed to miss about a month of winter, which in Bluff where he is, could be a seriously good idea!

I have a show next weekend and my range rover is still not fixed, one of the injectors refuses to come out of the replacement engine, so I am still driving my little van, and that makes life difficult for shows, in fact almost impossible!! This is the last show of the season, I used to have Chatsworth as the last one, and it was quite my favourite, however I lost it because of going to the US, and have not got it back which is sad, it was always a lovely end to the season and a beautiful setting to boot.

The Swallows have been doing well this summer, we have a ton of them here and Sedge chases them when they are doing their low flying over the field catching insects. I suspect they have also been chased by the wild Hobby that lives somewhere close by as we have seen them over a couple of times

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers