Sunday 8 August 2010
Good Lord a whole week has gone, where I am not sure, its been a week of dry weather (again), only a very little rain again, and my poor trees are beginning to show the effects of such a dry spring and summer, many are starting to lose their leaves and some looking very autumnal and its only August!! Still I can’t complain, the great weather has brought people in and made the summer very pleasant. Plus I love the autumn, I think it is my favourite time of the year, I love crisp autumn mornings and mist and bright colours, and shorter days, and a fire in the evening – ummmmmmmmm lovely. This morning Adam and I got four birds done before the Falcon Experience day, the sun was out, there was a slight cool breeze, we could hear the church bells ringing through the air from Newent, and the sound of wood pigeons calling, it was magical and we savoured every moment of it.

Our young Eurasian Griffon Vulture is just back from a second operation, which Neil is very pleased about. The leg was doing well, but about Wednesday it started to look different, I can’t really describe how, it just looked wrong, so he went back and had more ironwork put in! And now he is home and eating, and hopefully will recover, he has to have the metal work in for four weeks poor love. We really do want him to pull through and have a good life as he is such a star.

Adam’s new Lanner is going well and should be loose in a couple of days, my hybrid falcon is doing less well, he is loose, and called Cleeve, but he is not great at catching the lure I have to say, we have some work to do on that. Cremorne is slowly coming round and getting tamer, it is a long slow process and she is now up to 4700 grams!! Fat girl!! Actually she is not fat, so perhaps big girl would be a better description. Holly’s Harris Hawk Domino is lovely a perfect lady and flying well, Holly has been away this weekend at the ‘Big Chill’ whatever that is, so Adam and I have coped and poor Simon gets to rush to from the vets.

We had a young male Red Kite in earlier this week, it was fitting and not well, however it seems to have recovered and Simon is going to take it up to Reading where it came from and release it tomorrow I think.

My male Goshawk is back with Lee, we both decided that he was not the right temperament for here, which I felt was true, I have to say I am not convinced about imprint goshawks, so we are getting a parent reared one, which I think will do the job better and not have to be pandered to!

This evening my sister Dinah is here, from New York she arrived on Wednesday, and Sandra our cousin and Richard her husband, we are going to have supper together with Nick. Then tomorrow they are all going to Llangollen where Sandra and Richard have a lovely house and Nick will go back to Scotland to Anna and then fly out back to New Zealand and Dinah is coming back here and is going to help me to paint the utility room!!

The Peregrine Fund are doing great stuff with the problems of lead poisoning, and have a look at this website to see what we are doing to our wildlife with lead. The website
www.EndToxicLead.org has some compelling video and photos for use in educating the public about the toxic effects of lead from spent ammunition

Still no Range Rover, so if anyone out there has a Landrover 90 Diesel for a ridiculously cheap price and in great condition!!! Let me know please!!




2 comments:

AngelBridal said...

I love the way you never take anything for granted! You enjoy your work life and just the day each day and more people should be like that be greatfull for the sound of the birds and the bells and the day and live there life with a smile thank you for sharing.

XXXXX KIRSTINE HUGHES XXXXX and the Hughes family who love you loads -got any tonic yet?

Jemima Parry-Jones MBE said...

Just run out of tonic - again!! Can't imagine why!!

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers