Tuesday 14 September 2010
Passwords, I hate the damn things, I can never remember what I have chosen and then the flipping website tells me it is not a good one, why do we need them - agggggggghhhh!! I can't believe it has been another week, where do they go.

I have had such a nice evening, it rained heavily at about 4.15pm, so it was very pleasant that the visitors decided that they had already seen one demonstration and did not want to get wet - although we do promise to get wet with them - and we do!! So the last demonstration was aborted, the birds were fed, and we finished a little early, which is always nice. I was looking at the sky and to the north was a clear and clean blue bit, so I finished off and said to myself (always the best of conversations I feel!) if it comes over I will go for a ride. And it did, so I did.

The horse situation has changed a little, Hawk has gone to Yorkshire to keep a horse company belonging to two very good friends of mine, I went up with Charlie to make sure that Hawk did OK on the trip - he was a star. When last I saw them Hawk was lying down and if Harry (the other horse) had been any closer he would have squashed Hawk. They are very happy together and nothing seems to phase Hawk, although like any good Exmoor, fresh grass is very important! Anyway, here Dante is back, and Henry and Dante having been very spectacular in their first meeting - rearing, bucking, kicking and screaming!! and mostly Henry I might add, now look like a single eight legged horse they stay so close! So here I have Henry, beautiful bright bay 15.2 hh Thoroughbred, and Dante, just under 15hh three quarter Morgan, and one quarter thoroughbred and black (and very dirty right now!) However back to this evening. I took Henry out and he has improved greatly and is going forward nicely, the evening sun was low, the sky was clear, the views were great, the blackberries are ripe and numerous, holly berries are coming out, autumn is here and it was a lovely ride. I got back, groomed and fed Henry, and then groomed Dante and he was stealing hay from Henry's mouth while I did it!

The birds are flying well, we have grounded Hard Tackle, Theft, and Karis on Sunday and Maya today as the young birds are doing well and flying well, Red Streak (male Barbary) was chasing House Martins yesterday when Simon flew him!! Dawn Run tried her best at a pigeon this afternoon, and generally the young team are showing good potential. Dusky Emperor (Grey Buzzard Eagle) is getting there and Adam is very pleased with Arial, the male Ferruginous Buzzard. I was particularly proud of D'Arcy Spice who did his first owl day on Thursday, and was faultless, although I could wish he would stop trying to kill the toy rats we use as black board rubbers!

Mike Turner is getting on with the new compost heap walls, we desperately need to have more compost space and less dogs getting on there and eating heaven knows what, so we are building two compartments for compost, which will be good if the horses don't knock them over!! Tom has started on the feed drawers which I want to reinstate here. They make a huge difference to feeding round and I want to get them done before the winter sets in. Which reminds me I need to email Richard about heated perching in the Indoor Hawk Walk, Charlie and I had a good idea which I think will work.

Peter Dowle came today and we are going to move plants and put in new ones in the next month and then he and his team will come and prune again so we will need lots of help with clearing (please all you wonderful volunteers!!!) Its going to be exciting to see the changes in the gardens again.

Range Rover - best not to comment!! Dogs all well, Sorrel has learnt to get upstairs, which is not good, she keeps appearing with my clothes if I leave the gate at the bottom of the stairs open. We can't decide if when she takes things in front of you, does that constitute theft, or does theft have to be covert?? Hummmmmmmmm not sure on that one.



What else, I was going fishing tomorrow but have no time, a paper to write before Tuesday and ear ache, so I have chickened out - again, I will get fishing one day. Anna gave me the nicest pair of coral earrings carved in a rose which I love. I am not looking forward to going to the US next week, would rather be here!! Oh and I have a new pair of shoes! And the picture of the bum proves my point that humans are a great deal less attractive than vultures! where did this fashion of wearing ones trousers half way down the behind come from, its awful!








0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers