Sunday 2 January 2011
January 1st 2011, well here we are again, another New Year which is good, I have to say I liked the last year, I think we achieved a great deal with huge help from my staff to whom I am always grateful, our volunteers about whom I am always amazed at what they do and the tasks they tackle with such good spirit, and the work experience people who often have vile tasks, but amazingly some of them even come back after their official stint!

I know each year seems successively tougher and the price of fuel is going to be awful, I know, and that impinges on visitor numbers, but its still a wonderful country and I would not want to be anywhere else.

Adam is back, I know because I took the dogs for a walk in the dark this afternoon and his lights in the flat were on. I have to say that taking six black dogs for a walk in the dark is a nightmare, its better to turn off the torch and count shadows.

I went to the dentist yesterday for a check up and they were mentioning how cold it was - all I can say is that they must be nuts, it has been positively warm in comparison to the previous weather. Sadly it is raining this evening, although I think I should be pleased that it did not rain last night and spoil people's New Year, I did not see the New Year in though, I was tucked up in bed! I can never see why people get so excited about the last day of December!

Mike came yesterday and fixed all the leaks which was great and now for the time being I don't have to carry water to the stables which a big plus! My Goshawk is going well, and Simon's caught a Woodcock, which was another big grin on his face.

January 2nd, and boy has the temperature dropped today, all birds are inside the Indoor Hawk Walk and the plastic is still up, the dilemma on that one will be when to take it down again. I managed to get the Mozart book finished as far as I can take it, now we see if anyone likes it. I sorted out my books file on my computer and deleted a load of old stuff and have started on the next technical book, well I started a while ago, but now I am back on it and hope to get it down in a couple of months. I think I might try to do an updated DVD this summer as well. Then its the book of the last decade, which I have also started, but I suspect that I will find it difficult to get a publisher as I am not going to that polite about a few people - still that doesn't really matter as I can publish it on our website if needs be!!

Hopefully I will get Henry re shod again soon, and get out riding again. That will be good, all my plans for that in December went out of the window with the weather and all. All staff are back in the day after tomorrow and we have a lot to do before we open on February 1st, exciting times!! And can you believe it, the daffodils are showing already!!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers