Friday 14 January 2011
A wet and windy week this one has been that is for sure. However the loos are looking much better, all stripped out, all rotten wood taken out - although I might point out that the rotten wood was below the urinals, so hummmmmmm what does that tell me. I hope that the new stainless steel trough one will make aiming easier!!! Just try harder please you men! It was a job that needed doing, and we are now at the stage where we are rebuilding rather than taking down, which is always more cheering.

Birds are being flown, we have five falcons flying and three more to add, who were grounded in the very cold weather. We have taken out Bay Middleton and Pretender (two male Harris Hawks) ready to start work, and the owls are coming down. The Steller's was picked up the first time today!! John and Simon started handling her, and although she would not sit up on the fist, she was not too bitey, which with that beak is a good thing! Adam worked very hard and cut out the turf for a path and standing area in the flying field, firstly to take the water away from the centre post, and so make sure that we don't ruin the grass in the damp. He and John put down gravel, and it looks great. Holly has been fighting with paperwork all week, there is a long way to go but we are getting there I hope. We saw Robin on Thursday, he said he came to make sure we remembered him - actually we know it was to get out of the house for a bit! Richard came over and fixed the big refrigerator in the weighing room - hooray, I thought I was going to have buy a new one which was very depressing. Angela has been painting in the café and sanding the tables, they are looking great, and Jan has been sanding and repainting the shelves in the shop. Simon has been nest building and moving birds around and painting, today along with volunteer Matt. I have been running round like a demented thing seemingly achieving nothing, but I guess I have.

It has been so much warmer, which has been a lovely change, although the rain is a bit of a pain, but we have had a very dry winter, so I guess we need it. The ponds are looking good and the new grass is growing, amazing really when you think that we did not plant it until November and then had all that cold. I will be glad when we can take the plastic off the aviaries, but the weather is going to get a bit colder next week, so we will leave it until the following week and then furiously clean in time for opening.

I watched two programmes last night, I was very impressed with Hugh's Big Fish Fight. He really has done a great job, I hope you all have been watching, if not you should - on channel five. Lots of really good people on it and I think he is making a difference. In contrast the Human Planet on BBC 1 confirmed my opinion that really humans are a vile species. All we saw was various ways of killing fish and wiping them out, it would have been nice to see humans actually doing this wonderful planet some good, rather than the usual raping of it. I hope it improves, but I suspect it will not. However do get involved with two things for us all if you would - the save our forests campaign on the 38 degrees website, and the Big Fish Fight both need signatures, so get as many people as you can to join in.

Had a lovely ride on Henry today, I went out for the first time with someone else, and we rode through the woods onto May Hill, I can't count the number of years since I last did that. It was a spirited ride!! I might try it on Dante tomorrow depending on the weather.

We are now looking at doing the Lantra Award with our falconry courses, so people will be able to get about the only qualification available in the UK, I hope it goes well

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers