Tuesday 16 August 2011

I woke up very early yesterday morning, I had not slept that well, and I had both bedroom windows open and it was decidedly chilly in there. In fact early morning had a very definite autumnal feel to it. The previous day by the last demonstration the feel of the day had changed, instead of being warm and humid, it was warm but much fresher, the air was lighter. Many of the trees are changing very early, because of the lack of rain I guess. However it was a glorious morning, and I think that the autumn is probably my favourite time of the year, so I did not mind the autumn feel.


It remained good most of the day until the last demonstration when it became over cast and was very slightly raining, but that did not last long. I had hoped for a peaceful evening, but I had opened the French windows and let the dogs out, and forgot they were out there. At about 9.00pm I went out to check on Mollie and Sorrel was outside. On my return to the house could I find Sedge – oh no, I called, I looked under the decking, I searched the house, the shop, the workshop, the field, no Sedge I was getting very worried. Luckily Adam came up and found him stuck under another part of the damn decking – for the fourth time, so the decking is now being removed, which should solve the problem and get rid of the rabbits that are breeding under there. I can’t cope with worrying about him and Acer got stuck under there, and Sorrel has tried, so it has to go. One day perhaps I will be able to afford a really nice Conservatory, but for now it will be a big step out of the doors!


Holly’s Barbary Falcon went loose for the first time yesterday, as did Adam’s Lanner, so that makes all of the large falcons flying free now, there are a couple of Yellow-billed Kites to get off the creance and the two merlins are only just feeding on the fist, oh and the Steppe Eagle is doing well but very early stages right now.


And good news from Charlie, the little tiercel that he took for us last year to release has been trained and he has flown it, and then he cut a hole in his new barn (what we do for these birds) and has had it at hack (flying loose but can come back if it wants to) in his words it buggered off and killed a crow 200 yards away! So that is another one we can say should go back safely, which is good news for us and for Charlie.


My sister Dinah has left, has gone to riot torn London and flies out back to Brooklyn today. It was good to have her here, even for a short time, she always looks after me and gives me great meals – no wonder I miss her!


The last two pictures are Mary Catherine with Spy our Goshawk, whom she loved and James with Pioneer the Steller's Sea Eagle, whom he said was bloody heavy, it was such fun to have them here at Newent, particularly MC after all the less than pleasant experiences we shared in South Carolina. It is nice to know that she still has Saluda, her African Spotted Eagle Owl and he is doing well!


I am hoping to get a saddle this evening that will be comfortable for Mollie, I have not been able to ride her because the girth gave her a sore which has now healed, it will be good to get it sorted out so I don’t have to worry, she has a particularly fine skin, and so we have to be very careful with her, she is a lovely person though.


The new doors to go on the Hawk Walk to keep the birds warm and safe in cold winters are coming on. The top side is built and need to go up and the bottom side Mike has just started, we should get them done and up by the end of this month, and then we have to line the compartments and Richard has to do the electrics! It has been a busy August, I would like to have a month with no projects!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

Blog Archive

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers