Saturday 25 August 2012
Apparently I am going to have no time for paperwork emails, blogs or anything else at the moment, I have to say I am feeling a little worn. So unless they are very neccessary, don't email me!!! What with bad weather, bank holidays, the falconry weekend (which is very busy now) and the training of new birds, plus all the birds that should have gone up to Duncombe a couple of months ago, there is no time for anything. I have not even ridden my horse for three days. 



It’s always a hard time of the year anyway as all the young birds are coming into training and the older more experienced ones are still flying because the young ones are not ready to take over, so there are masses of birds to get done through the day and the Experience Days, although great because they bring in funds, mean that we can’t use the field in the afternoon until they are done. Oh to win the lottery and buy some more land!!!! We are training four large falcons and four small ones, three eagles, two kites, one new Harris, and my Sparrowhawk, and that is on top of all the usual flyers at this time of the year, oh and that does not count two new owls either!!
 
However all young are going well, and will be an asset to the teams here and at Duncombe when they finally go up there. Once the Falconry Weekend is done after next weekend we will have a grounding of about five birds which will ease the pressure as well. It’s the unexpected that screws it all up. Two days ago Ara, the tiny male Lesser Kestrel buggered off, so that took Michele and I from 1.30 – 4.30 to finally get him back at which point his name was close to being changed!! And we walked bloody miles after the little dear!!!
 

Holly’s Grey Buzzard Eagle is now flying free, and called Ganymede. She is wonderful and doing really well. It is interesting to see how different she is to my young Tawny Eagle who is NOT ready to go loose yet and is also not the same charming character either!!
 
Shasta is still lame and now has to have a big operation on her elbow, which is just before the Falconry Weekend and I am dreading it. I hate taking them in and leaving them for an operation, I always wish I could be there with them.
 
It’s the Bank Holiday, we know that because it has been raining, like every other bloody bank holiday this year!!! We had terrific thunder storms, which had Leaf disappearing, but I have to say we still did get some visitors, and they stuck it out through rain, wind and sun!! As usual the birds were amazing and did not let us down. They are so special really, as are my staff as they continue on in the rain, just pretending it is not happening!!
 

I will be glad when the autumn is here though it will be nice to be under less pressure – I hope. Although I have three trips which I have to do, which is not so much fun. Ah well, better go and feed Art as I have not had time to ride him  - again! Oh and here is our Gold Postbox, with grateful thanks to the Dressage Team and the Individual Gold, in fact thanks to Charlotte we should have two!!
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers