Wednesday 26 December 2012
Won't it be nice if she breed this year!
Its Boxing day, I have full charge of all livestock, dogs, horse, birds! So most of the mornings are taken up with feeding checking and so on. This is the first time I have done it in a long time, Simon never seemed to go much for Christmas and so he would feed the birds in the morning on Christmas day, shoot off to see family and be back by the evening, but he left working here on Christmas Eve, so I have got the job. Actually I like it, it means I can check things, probably why no one likes me to do it. I already have a list of things to be fixed or put right and I have found some interesting things on the studwork in the corridors, we certainly have a good mixture of screws!!! And eggs!!! I did not dare drop any of them as I suspect there would have been a loud bang and a very bad smell. Still never mind, new regime in place as of Jan 2nd 2013, which I am praying will be a drought year!!! There can’t be more rain after New Year – can there??!!
 
I had my Christmas party on Christmas Eve, for friends and locals, it is the third year and it seems to be popular, but what a difference from two years ago when it was freezing cold, snow on the ground and ice all over the car park, this year I had to open doors as the fires in the sitting room and my office had made the house too warm!!! The trees looked lovely, the house lends itself to entertaining – although I only do it once a year! Most of the food went and everyone seemed to have a good time – same time same place next year!!
 
We finished our last two owl evenings on Fri and Sat and amazingly got away with the weather which I did not think was possible looking at the forecast. One audience was great the other was not!! The birds did very well and the lights just about held out, but only just with the wet ground. We are going to have to do something about them before February. The owls are now off duty until the last week in Jan when they all need to get going again for opening on February 1st.
 
We will tackle the flats at the start of January, as well as getting the last of the major cleaning done, we are close to being ready for the breeding season already. I had a look in the flats today, there is a fair bit to do to get them back to how they were in early 2009! Out with the magnolia paint I think, I was disappointed to see that someone has painted the nice pine stairs and banisters, that is a great shame, and difficult to undo.
 
The weather yesterday, although wet to start with turned lovely as I fed round, the sun came out and birds began to sing, it was a real treat after all this grey dull light that we have lived with for weeks now. Now sadly we are back to rain again, what a surprise. I do feel so sorry for those poor people living close to water and watching it rise to threaten or flood their homes.
 
Ah well, better take the dogs out for a run, which means putting Leaf on a lead, I think I am going to have to find a good home for her, because out with the pack she is pretty difficult to manage. Holly has taken her home for a weekend occasionally and she is so much better on her own, she is also chasing birds, which is not good news for us here.
 
All the birds up at Duncombe are settled and doing well and the birds that we have moved around here are also settled, even the new Golden Eagles seem to have settled and the White-backed Vultures as well. Here is praying for a dry 2013!

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers