Monday 25 February 2013

I finally gave up this week and turned on an extra radiator. Normally I only heat the kitchen for me and the dogs and my office/library, but it has been SO cold that moving from one room to the other just got unbearable! As I had the all clear to remove the back brace I think I am a little more susceptible to the cold than usual.  

We have just finished the two weeks of half term and I have to say that although it has been bitterly cold and sitting in the flying field with an easterly wind driving up from the pond has been a heroic effort by the visitors, we have still had them!! Of course I really think they are nuts, I would have sat by the fire with a book and a cuppa given the chance!! However it has been lovely to be busy again and although the second week has been very cold and grey it has been DRY!!! In fact my field is finally drying out and for the first time in probably 10 months the pond is not overflowing.
 

The daffodils have stopped dead, they obviously have said to themselves that they blew it, they have been the same height for a week and my poor crocuses and not happy either. The gardens look a little bare I have to say, but my staff gave me some garden vouchers for Christmas, which of course I have not been able to spend, but now I am mobile (ish) again, I can go out and have fun with them.
 

My hospital appointment went fine, the fracture is healed and I was told that some people wait a couple of weeks to take off the brace and others take it off as soon as they get home, I carried mine out of the hospital! I did offer it back to them, but the surgeon looked a little affronted and said would I wear a secondhand brace – absolutely I would especially when I was waiting for the damn thing to arrive for several days! Although I have to admit mine is held together with a bit of wire where a screw came out. It is residing in the butler’s pantry until I can think of something to do with it!
 

We have two horses in the field for a month – and no I am not riding again, I don’t think I could get on a horse right now if I tried, and anyway although they say my back is mended, it does not exactly feel like it, it’s pretty sore still. These horses are in foal mares that belong to two good friends of mine and they are here so she can sort out her field and buildings ready for foals! It’s good to see a horse in the field again, although I think Nathan is less pleased. He started to mow again – hooray, it always looks so nice when things are mown. My front lawn I am told looks like Basra, with landmines from the dogs and mole hills, I am about to wage war on the moles as they are causing a lot of damage all over. It’s a shame you can’t train burrowing owls to get moles, I could earn a fortune!

 

The birds are laying furiously, Hemp has an egg (not that is will be fertile, but she is a great sitter). The Griffon Vultures have hatched their baby all by themselves. The two Grey Buzzard Eagle babies are doing well now. Some of the owls have eggs and the Hooded Vultures have laid too, we are hoping they will hatch as we want to keep them and fly them. I will not be sorry when the weather warms up, although I would be happy if it would warm up to a drought please, its always a worry with eggs and really cold weather. Here is hoping it will change soon.

0 comments:

Hello

I have to say that keeping a weblog can at times become compulsive and at other times a chore. Sometimes I am berrated for not keeping it up and sometimes I get wonderful comments from people who follow the news of the Centre.

It is fun to share the daily goings on here, some good and some bad, some funny and some sad, but all a part of our daily lives.
And as I said before its a pretty cool to be here and it is a great place to visit, you should try coming and watching the birds and meeting the staff and of course the dogs.

An interesting video on Lead

An interesting video on Lead

I find it staggering that people who want to hunt don't see the value in changing their ammunition from lead to a safer product. We have stopped using lead in petrol, in paint, in our water pipes, but they still want to use lead - ah well, apparently eating it not only kills birds but leads to reduced intelligence in humans......................

NO ONE is asking you to stop legal and genuine hunting, they are just asking you to change your ammunition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHZGQ8i8AwI

HC

Website counter

Followers